Friday, July 21, 2006

I'M FREEEEEEEEE

Yesterday was my last day of my summer job at the Bank and in honor of this occasion I will give a little attention to my excitement at that wonderful job.

First though, I take a moment to say that after the amount of comments I received on "my" last post, I am slightly tempted to lie more often just for the reaction's sake! :)

Okay, so at my great job there are some great people, but as the case is at Claire's great job, they aren't always bright, although they assume to be.

(Before I give my examples and stories of the bank, I give a little disclaimer: I have a poor memory and therefore, some of the following may be adapted slightly or a product of sitting in my brain and being influenced by my thoughts after said occasions and therefore may not be 100% accurate... but they are a lot closer to reality than in my last post....)

Example of "brightness": On my great last day, I overheard two women talking about Falafels. 1: "Have you ever had a falafel?" 2: "No, I don't think so." Around this time I turned around and told them to ask Craig because he had lived in Israel for awhile. They didn't really seem to pay that much attention to my suggestion but asked me questions about falafels instead (I, who have only had one falafel and only ate about half of it....) 1: "Aren't they made with lamb?" Me: "Um. I don't think so. They're like chick peas made into little meatball type things, and you add tons of other things." 1: "They sacrifice lambs over there a lot I know. Like, all the time" Me: "OH REALLY!?!?!? I LIVED OVER THERE...." But I didn't really say that last part. I just smiled and turned back to my desk, although I added my two cents of agreement when they started talking about the meat markets over there and how disgusting they were. :) Isn't it amazing though, how you think you know all about something and are really completely ignorant, say about how the Jews don't sacrifice lambs because they don't have a Temple or any purified priest and all that stuff. (See how much I know....)

My coworkers are also very funny sometimes. There's one lady in particular whom I really enjoyed because she was sarcastic and sassy and had fun bantering with the others in her department and those on the other side of her cubicle wall as well. One time, someone from over the wall started to sing, and this woman quickly commanded, "Don't Sing!" and a moment later muttered something about "Justifiable homicide..." She was also the one who was talking to me about how horrible the weather had been all over the place recently; the tsunami, the floods, the earthquakes predicted to happen soon, the hurricanes, etc. She then went on to say, "It's like Mother Earth is trying to tell us something...." I so wanted to have a good response but I couldn't come up with a good one except to say, "Or maybe the end of the world...." Oh well, I gave her a Gospel of John on my last day so hopefully that will take the place of my lack of a good response earlier.

Then there was the day after I saw Liane's post looking for good names for the creature she had made. I wrote down probably over 25 different crazy names I had found during my work that day. Sadly, I never got around to posting them but it made of a good distraction for me during work. One name I found later was Socrates. It was some guy's first name! Who would name their little boy that?

There's so much more.... like my scanner jamming all the time and then getting so loud when I used it that I had lots of people (some of whom I'd barely even talked to before) coming over to my cubby to see what that washing machine was, or that big coffee maker, or the gun. Such popularity!

And the time someone thought that Clyde was Craig and started off the conversation with, "I just found out you sing! You have a beautiful voice!" And Clyde quickly jumping in, "No no no! That's my brother!"
And when a boss came over to introduce a new guy at work to Craig because he also wrote music and overhearing them talk about lyrics and styles of music and ideas and the boss interrupting with her own ideas for them going on Broadway and becoming famous and on and on.

And over half of my department evacuating every day for a smoking break. It would tell me that there was only 20 more minutes before my break (usually about when they'd leave)!

And singing to myself in my own cubicle.
And listening to Rush Limbaugh.
And enjoying hearing the woman on the other side of the wall laughing at the radio announcers the same time I did during the afternoon Red Sox game!
And stretching and walking around the bank and the rubber fingers and the wicked cool clips and.......

6 comments:

Aaron said...

Well, I enjoyed this post, so in order to keep you going with good ones I guess I'll comment. (sigh) Actually, I enjoyed this post almost nearly as much as the last one, but it's just so much easier to comment when you have something to say about yourself as well as the post (e.g., "YOU FOOLED ME!!"). Since I've never really worked in an office environment for more than maybe twenty hours (and that was at a small office where I knew everyone), I don't have a lot of, "Yep, I know that feeling." Still, I enjoyed all your stories and will comment for more!!! :)

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Great post!---betchyer gonna miss 'em/it all...

Cheech said...

What good memories!

CKS said...

Guess what? Today I got swamped with Compliance work! I boo-hoo-hooed all day...you can come back anytime now.

And I love Laura!

KJ said...

Poor Craig! I'm so sorry for you... to bad I can't give you my tolerance/almost enjoyment of compliance work sometimes :) Maybe you won't have to do it much more since they're training new girls.

lis said...

Loved your memories...it's always fun to have a peek into somebody else's job.

And are those meat markets ever gross! I saw a six-foot-ish shark hanging up there once. Ew, ick, and disgusting.

They DO sacrifice lambs there...on Mt. Gerizim, at least. But otherwise, what a funny, funny idea. Makes me think of a classmate I had (a perfectly intelligent guy) who, pre-trip, dreamed of having his own pet camel living with him. Uh-huh!