Friday, January 25, 2013

Grampa Murray's Lesson

Tonight, for some Sabbath reading, I picked up Grampa Murray's book Lessons My Pastor Taught Me and opened it at random. I landed in chapter 66 entitled, "Leave No Lie Unchallenged." In it Grampa encouraged me to actively fight against the lies and half-truths that I run across everywhere, and to do this he explained what his pastor, and he, would do: verbally retaliate even when you are alone with no one else to hear you. I have heard my dad do this as well, especially to the radio or even an occasional movie. When something comes on that is not true or right, he speaks back to it with the truth. It used to bother me and I would think, "of course that's not true, or good, or right, Daddy, but you don't have to say so out loud. We all know it...." Then I realized the incredible power it has to actively reject the lie, and doing so audibly gives it more effect in my own life. In this lesson, Grampa also brought out the point that when we react with the truth and a verbal rejection of the lie, the "principalities and powers" can hear us and those are who we are waging war against, not to the deceived people who are spreading the lies. He also quotes his pastor as teaching his people to be aware of the "little foxes that spoil the vines" and to be active in standing against even the little things that are wrong.

So I am encouraged to speak the Truth in reaction to the lies and evil around me, even if no one else appears to be listening. It is also conviction for me as I am aware of being indifferent or apathetic toward lies that are spewed in entertainment, even though I know they are wrong. I don't want to let the enemy think he's getting away with that deception so easily. I want to let the spiritual world know that I am opposed to anything that is not true and good because my God is Truth and He is Good and I want to do things His way.

Besides, how much fun is it to just say, "That's not True" when you are frustrated at the propaganda and anti-God life all around us? It's not going to last, people. One day we will all know the One who is only Truth.

A few quotes from the chapter:
"He wanted the devil to know that there was at least one man on this earth who saw through his lies and rejected them, no matter what the subject or the medium of propaganda."
"He was observing a society in the throes of collapse, and every atom of his soul was arrayed against the downward pull."
"'A prophet is a man of truth who can accept no excuse, who can consent to no compromise, who can never cease thundering his passionate denunciation even if the whole universe is against him.'"

1 comment:

gretchen said...

AWESOME. Boy that was good.

Thanks for sharing! It's such a good thing to practice that, and really refreshing to the spirit just to speak the truth out loud. I need to do that more, for my own sake at the very least!

Amen, I choose that for myself.