Hurray! College is so much fun! And yes, part of this sense of joy is because my 2000 word paper is safely turned in!! It's also because we girls of Phi Sig (our society team) just won our first flag-football game!! Yeah! We are the winners! And I played wicked awesome cornerback and interfered (in a correct way) with a play, tipping the ball down so the bad guys (or girls, rather) couldn't complete the pass! And I pulled other girls' flags off and stopped them from advancing and kept our lead safe and WE WON! :) (Yup... all 'cuz of me; and Lisa! check out her blog for the sweet picture of me cheering... don't get your hopes up....)
Other excitement is from the chorus aspect of my life. I just wanted to update all my music followers of what cool songs we're doing in chorus. We have some standard beauties, such as Brahms, and, uh, ... rats, mind-blank... other good classic pieces of choral music. BUT we're also doing other exciting (although not with the same degree of inspiring worship) pieces such as: PDQ Bach's My Bonnie Lass, She Smelleth (A take off of My Bonny Lass, She Smileth); Tchaikovsky's Flight of the Bumblebee (which is NOT written for vocal arrangement but we're going to somehow sing it with sounds that sound like a bee buzzing... yesss); and today's new addition: I forget the title, but it's the song from Les Miserables that says: "When the beating of your heart, echoes the beating of the drum...."
So there you have it. The perfect ingredients for a PART-AY! :)
(And for those of you who really care about what we're singing, I can try to remember to write down what the titles are of some of our other excellent selections and add them as a comment to this post... but I'm not guaranteeing that I'll remember. :))
P.S. I can rightfully cheer for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays tonight... they're playing the Y-----s! GO RAYS! (I love you Bethany!)
6 comments:
Your buzzing the Flight O the Bumblebee reminds me of when I was in highschool chorus and we CLUCKED the 1812 overture and one of us- or maybe it was the conductor- dressed as a chicken. Yes. A chicken.
Buck buck bugaaaaawk...
What I really want is an audio clip of your choir singing the buzzing song.
Wow! Sounds like you're having a blast!
Ditto to Claire's comment! The last part, that is. (No, I've never dressed up as or clucked like a chicken in front of my WHOLE HIGHSCHOOL!!!)
: )
Ha! Our director is crazy, but not THAT crazy, Claire! And don't worry, we'll be making a CD of our songs. The worst part about that is the fact that we don't record the actual concert but instead cut our CD during a few early hours on a SATURDAY morning! Argh... these people need to find out about the Sabbath! :)
A better way to hear our buzzing is to come to the concert! :) (November 13th)
Oh my land sakes!
Flight of the Bumblebee in CHORUS??? That's hilarious! Is this the F of the B that's constant wicked fast notes from beginning to end? How on earth!
There was talk of doing the PDQ Bach piece in my chamber choir, but it never happened. And "Do You Hear the People Sing?" sounds distinctly out of place alongside Brahms and Tchaikovsky and, yes, even PDQ Bach. :-)
Have fun! I miss my choir!
So glad you commented Craig because I wanted to inform you that I found another extremely musically gifted person who can't whistle! Amazing! Maybe it's something about being so talented musically...
I'm not sure what all of the songs will be for our first chorus... as in, the ones I listed (and am about to list) may not all be for the same concert, or it may not be set in stone yet that we'll even sing them... but anyway. Some more songs we're doing:
Tchaikovsy's Cherubic Hymn; a German song; and other hymn arraingments such as: Are Ye Able, and All Creatures of Our God and King.
We're also doing an "impressions" song called Such A Pretty Bird and we speak the words instead of singing it and the words make about zero sense. And Yes, the Flight of the BB is that constant wicked fast notes song and I don't know how we'll sing it! :)
So yea, I'll have to agree that the different types of songs we're doing are widely varied and the concert should be interesting anyway! :)
Love your title!!!
The Flight of the Bumblebee makes me want to go jump off a cliff! I can't believe you guys are singing that! But I guess it is better than having a "chicken" for a conductor.
Post a Comment