The problem with reading James Herriot during lunch break is he can get pretty graphic sometimes. Today I read a story about a dog that got in an accident with an automobile. I carefully unwrapped my granola bar as I read and was about to take a bite when James (or I guess it would be more proper to say, Herriot) suddenly noticed that one of the dog's eyes had been dislocated; popped out of it's socket. Ugh! Anyone want a granola bar? :) Actually, my stomach just grimaced slightly and then I continued my lunch, but not without first thinking of Claire and smiling slightly to myself.
And now, for you tough ones, I'll share just how Herriot described the story, so you can better appreciate my lunchtime situation.
"The right eye had been violently dislodged from its socket and it sprouted like some hideous growth from above the cheek bone, a great glistening orb with the eyelids tucked behind the white expanse of sclera." (All Things Wise and Wonderful, James Herriot, pg. 291)
He has such a way with words, eh?
4 comments:
mmmmm...luscious. I trust you will have pleasant mental images every time you eat that brand of granola bar in the future.
I love you KJ!
beautiful! he's so poetic. :p hope claire hasn't read this one...
AAAAAAAAAARRRRRR!!!! ( I skimmed the second paragraph...but even still...!!)
I wonder how many people there are in the world who, when they hear any eyeball story, think of me. Several, at least.
Yes, several: including me! But it only brings happiness and fond thoughts of you, Claire...which is quite a pay-off, considering the subject matter that prompts those thoughts. :0)
Lisa
Post a Comment